Saturday, August 24, 2013

What are the Basics of Saltwater Fishing?

A Penn 500 Jigmaster,
Blue Water Carnage rod
and line to get started.
     Having very little experience fishing in saltwater adds both a sense of adventure and a sense of being lost when it comes to planning the trip.  So I was wondering: What would be the best advice for a newbie on a saltwater charter boat?


  I’ve talked with a few people but thought why not send out the question to the online fishing community and see what comes back.  Not only will I get some advice from many, but many others who may be new to saltwater fishing would then be able to get the same information from many sources.
     I know there are as wide a variety of ways to go about this type of fishing as there are bass lure colors, so I expect a lot of different opinions, and respect them all.  But the basics are what I want to focus on here.
     I am completely new to saltwater fishing.  I have been on a few day trips while on vacation in Mexico, for dorado, barracuda, snapper and whatever else shows up, but now I will be going out on a small charter, about 12 anglers, and fishing near the Channel Islands area off of the Ventura County coastline, and I have to bring my own outfits.  I picture anglers lining the rails and what could be a comedy routine with me stuck in the middle being the punch-line for seasoned set-up men.
     So what does a newbie need?  Picture someone with little or no tackle to start with and go from there; basically start from scratch.
     I have started with a little info from friends, thanks to Chief, Jason, and Nathan at the Ventura County Bass Club and Bob H. from Pure Fishing/Berkley for getting me started.  
     Right now my first rig is a Penn 500 Jigmaster on a 7’ Penn Carnage Rod.  I plan on spooling it with some Big Game 30# backing, then 50# Invisi-braid, then 30# ProSpec fluorocarbon leader.  This will be my deep water rig.
Abu Garcia Toro Winch with terminal tackle and Gulp! grubs
     Second in the arsenal, for now, will be my usual swimbait outfit for bass: a Abu Garcia Toro Winch on a Fenwick Aetos Swimbait rod.  I have 20# braid on the Toro Winch and can add a fluorocarbon leader as needed.  This would be for shallower water fishing and flylining.
     For tackle I talked with Malibu Fish’n Tackle near my home in Thousand Oaks.  I have an assortment of j-hooks from Owner and Mustad to get me started, from number 4’s up to 4/0 hooks.  Then, a few torpedo and egg weights: a small assortment pack of egg weights to start with, and a few torpedo weights in 6, 8, 12, and 16 ozs.
     The boat will provide any bait, and I am now stocked with variety of Gulp! and Powerbait softbaits like grubs, Flatback and Ripple Shads, and Gulp! Jigg Heads.
     That’s it, so far.  Where do I go from here?  What’s missing in a beginner’s arsenal?  What are the basics that you would not be caught on the boat without?http://www.fishexplorer.com/ca/blog.asp?action=det&bid=2018

1 comment:

  1. These tips are really going to help me in the related topic..Good one

    Tips for Saltwater trolling

    ReplyDelete