Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tyin' Flies and Takin' Names





     Soon after learning the basics of fly casting, and seeing the pride in others when a fly they tied works on the river or lake, I decided to take up fly tying.  But where to start?
     After being introduced to fly fishing by a coworker I had the bug to learn more; to get more involved in the sport from different angles.  During my first trip fly fishing I watched as my host read the water, paying attention to the details that would help us catch fish: water conditions and flows, noticeable insect activity, feeding lines, etc.  Fritz tied his own flies and he produced several to try out the first day.  One in particular did well, a chartreuse egg with a red spot.  Never one to carry too much, but one to have the necessary tools nearby, Fritz had a complete tying kit travelling with him.  In the evening, after dinner and while the rest of us watched a Springtime Baseball game on the Holiday Inn Express television, Fritz set up a travel vise and laid out the appropriate tying material to make egg patterns.  These became the bread-and-butter of the trip and the satisfaction that Fritz displayed in knowing that he created the fly was evident, sparking my desire to make my own.
     Living in KCMO before the internet age there were few choices when it came to sourcing fly fishing information.  The big fishing retailers like Bass Pro and Cabela’s only had one store back then, and it would be years before they opened satellite stores in the KC area.  Some of the local sporting goods stores sold a sparse selection of product, but few employees actually used the equipment they sold and were of little help when it came to specific information.  So I was on the hunt for fly tying expertise.
     On a visit to an Aunt and Uncle’s in South Missouri, passing through Springfield I stopped at the gigantic Bass Pro Outdoor World store.  I always had to stop, even when I did not have the money to purchase anything, and I could spend hours wandering the store to see the latest in fishing, hunting, camping, and boats.  But this time I was after fly fishing items listed in the BPS yearly catalog.  I went straight to the White River Fly Shop inside Bass Pro to get outfitted.  Since I had borrowed my equipment from Fritz for that first trip, I purchased a Dogwood Canyon beginner fly outfit: rod, reel, line, and leader.  I also purchased a beginner tying kit complete with instructions (on VHS) and material to tie several of the most popular flies: pheasant tail, elk hair caddis, and woolly bugger.  The instructor on this video, by the way, is David who now works at the White River Fly Shop in the Denver Bass Pro!
     I tied many flies with this small kit and a beginner Griffin vise and succeeded fishing for bream in ponds near my home.  But I needed more, so I crossed the state line to Overland Park, KS to a fly shop listed in the greater KC phone book, K & K Flyfishers (still in business!)  K & K sold me my first neoprene waders and boots, a Renzetti vise, and plenty of material to keep me busy.  From here I experimented with many different trout flies and started tying my own deer hair bass bugs, too.
     Seeing an announcement in the Kansas City Star, I attended classes held by a local club, The KC Chapter of the Missouri Trout Fishermen’s Association.  For a small fee, basically to cover materials, club volunteers held evening hands-on classes at an elementary school lunch room to teach fly tying.  A member even taught rod building.  I remember one grizzly old veteran, who claimed to have taught Jack Dennis a thing or two back in the old days out west, that proudly frequented the trash bins behind fabric and carpet stores for just about anything he needed.  He would bring in these scraps, cut and blend them before us, and create an old fly, and sometimes an all new one, from the “exotic” material he collected.  From these guys I was able to ask questions and get expert answers, providing me with a much richer experience than a book or video ever can.
     Tying books are indispensable, however, to create a large variety of flies, with thousands of recipes available and step-by-step instruction.  These are the ones I still use: my first was the American Fly Tying Manual, (Dave Hughes, ISBN: 978-1571882127.)  Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple, (Skip Morris, ISBN: 978-1878175137).  Two from Deke Meyer: Tying Trout Flies: 12 of the Best (ISBN: 978-1878175403), and Tying Trout Nymphs: 12 of the Best (ISBN: 978-1878175878.)   
     Then there are the three bibles from Jack Dennis, Western Trout Fly Tying Manual, (ISBN: 978-0999003800), Western Trout Fly Tying Manual II, (ISBN: 978-0937556009), and Tying Flies, (ISBN: 978-0937556016).  All of these tying books are must-haves in my collection and would be good for beginner and expert fly tiers.
     This is not just about fly tying, but also about the process of learning how to tie and loving the activity.  Notice that my experience has been shaped and influenced by avid fishermen and without these people, and many others, I and who knows how many lifetime anglers may have never gained an appreciation for the sport.
     I learned so much from others who volunteered their time and knowledge.  If anyone knows of a similar group, willing to share their know-how, please post them here so that others may continue the tradition of passing on the sport.  I know that many of the stores, like Bass Pro Shop, have classes and seminars, too, and if you are interested in learning that is a good place to start.
Happy tying!
Fish ON!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment